Monday, March 06, 2006

Blogging: Is it just Narcissistic?

I had an interesting conversation with a fellow blogger the other evening. I tried to ascertain whether Blogging is just a blatant form or Narcissism or whether it actually serves a purpose.

I am of the opinion that they are a pointless addition to the internet. So, why are you writing in a Blog, then? I hear you cry... [actually, why would I *think* that you are interesting in this, unless I thought that you would read this and therefore I have just displayed the very Narcissitic attibuted which I hate so much?] Well, the reason is because I feel I should at least try to see what all the fuss is about. Whether anyone reads this, or finds it interesting {[actually - again - maybe it's because I have nothing interesting to say on here, which means that I'm jealous of those who are more exciting.] So, I'm trying; very trying, in fact.

But here's the crack. I just can't think of anything to write.

Why the hell would you want to hear about something that isn't very interesting, from someone you don't know (and never will), when there are infinitely more interesting things going on outside your front door.

My view is that the web is great for photos, say. Or tickets. Or timetables. Or photos of tickets and timetables. But as a brain-dump of information from a complete stranger? Well, what's the point. There's nothing I don't say to people that I write on here. It's nothing that can't be said than can't be sung is one way to put it...

Anyway, I'm bored now of this - amazing, I even bore myself doing this.

Perhaps I'm wrong and I 'just don't get it'. I don't think the other bloggers who update their sites are wrong or stupid for that matter, but unless you have something of use to someone else, what's the point?

7 comments:

aidanrad said...

Just because something's to all intents and purposes pointless and unnecessary, doesn't mean it can't be somehow, someway curiously interesting to look at.
Take Girls Aloud, for example...

You may also have misrepresented my most significant words from the other night, too.
Which I think were along the lines of: "Yeah, another Shtella please, fella..."

The, er, 'blogosphere' is fairly vast, from the intense politicos to the most exclusive and insipid of, er, insipid and exclusive intra-blogs, but if there's a readership there interested and engaged enough, lovely stuff... And if not, but the blogger is enjoying(ish) their right to trash out a few thoughts on their life, their universe and their everything, why the blinking heck not...?
Well, anyway, it beats sending a round fucking robin... ;)

WDKY said...

Actually, having read that post, it seems that you do get it, if a little inadvertently.

Errr... sorry.

aidanrad said...

(That round robin bit is a Derek and Clive quote, of course - not me being gratuitously abusive... Though I can do that too...)

Anonymous said...

You're quite wrong.

Blogging isn't all about you... it's all about ME!!

Seriously though - in an early post on my blog I referred to "the central conceit that other people might actually give a shit about your life, what you do, what you think."

But it works. People want to read other people's blogs (I'm reading yours).

Because yes, we're all vain solipsists - but we're also all nosey voyeurs!

BraveIrene said...

Don't you think analysing the nature of blogs and bloggers in a blog post is rather unoriginal?

Anyway...I think blogging is about talking to people you might never have met otherwise! I suspect you might all know eachother though?!

Akr's blog might be about him, but hey its interesting! Its always fun to read about other people's lives.

Oh hell...I suppose it is sorta narcissistic....but I am so selfless all the time in other areas of my life...I need a bit egotism now and then!

WDKY said...

Actually, I've been looking for some "local" blogs, so this is great. And as it happens, the friends I've made across the water have a much more tangible reality to them than I ever expected. It's proven to be an unexpectedly rewarding way to fill a couple of hours each day.

NK said...

Ok, so maybe it's not the most exciting thing to talk about (or original) but that's a wee bit harsh of someone who's new to blogging. I mean, I've only just started watching Shameless and I think it's great. Now, my friends have all watched it for ages, so I'm not telling them anything new - in fact, that makes me way behind them. But, does that matter? Everyone is so keen to be at the front of the queue. What's wrong with the Tickemaster approach?
(yes, I think it doesn't quite work either) My point is that I am really loathe to feel that I ought to like something because everyone else says it's good. Hell, I could say anyone who hasn't given up their job and lived abroad for a bit just hasn't lived... Or if they haven't got married and had kids by the time they're thirty ISN'T living.

See, now we're just about nudging